Cell Therapy Program Coordinator
ORCID ID orcid.org/0000-0001-9861-0736
Scopus Author ID 7102548019
H-INDEX (Google Scholar): 43
Citations (Google Scholar): 10.903
i10-index (Google Scholar): 66
Registered expert for European Research & Innovation
DATE OF BIRTH: July 12, 1961
Full professor of Cell Biology, Department of Life Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Cell Therapy Program Coordinator, Centre for Regenerative Medicine “Stefano Ferrari”, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
R&D Director, Holostem Terapie Avanzate S.r.l., Modena, Italy
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
1984-1988: Pre- and post-doctoral training on Molecular Pharmacology, Pharmacology Department of Genova University, Genova, Italy
1988: Degree in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technologies, University of Genova, Italy.
1989: Degree in Pharmacy, University of Genova, Italy.
1989 Professional qualification to practice as a Pharmacist
1999: Fourth Ocular surface and Tear Conference, University of Miami School of Medicine
1999: Cytometry Methods, National Academy of Medicine, Milano, Italy
2009: Advanced course on Manufacturing and characterization of experimental medicinal products for advanced therapies, ISS, Roma
2009: Workshops on Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products, EMA, London
2013: National qualification for full professor
1988-1991: Investigator, Laboratory of Cell Differentiation, National Institute for Cancer Research, Genova, Italy.
1991-1993: Head of Laboratory, Cellife Biotechnology, S.p.A., Milano, Italy.
1993-1995: Senior Investigator, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Advanced Biotechnology Center, Genova, Italy.
1996-2002: Deputy Head, Laboratory of Tissue Engineering Laboratory, I.D.I., Istituto Dermopatico dell’Immacolata, Roma, Italy.
2002-2007: Head, Laboratory of the Epithelial Stem Cell Regional Research Center, The Veneto Eye Bank Foundation, Venice, Italy
2006-2016: Associate Professor of Cell Biology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy.
2008-present: Head, Cell Therapy Program, Center for Regenerative Medicine “Stefano Ferrari”, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy.
2008-present: Founder and R&D Director, Holostem Terapie Avanzate S.r.l., Modena, Italy.
2010-2017: QP, Holostem Terapie Avanzate S.r.l., Modena, Italy.
2016-present: Full Professor of Cell Biology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy.
MAJOR SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENTS
Graziella Pellegrini has dedicated most of her scientific activities to translational medicine. She is recognised as leading scientist in human squamous epithelial stem cell biology and has been a driving force in the development of epithelial stem cell-mediated cell therapy and gene therapy.
Following on early work on the use of human epidermal stem cell cultures in life-saving treatment of massive full-thickness burns and in repigmentation of stable vitiligo and piebaldism by keratinocyte/melanocyte co-colture (reviewed in Regen. Med. 2006), Pellegrini and her main collaborator Michele De Luca were first to establish human urethral stem cell culture aimed at urethral regeneration in posterior hypospadias (N. Engl. J. Med. 1990; Eur. Urol. 2016; Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016; World J Urol. 2019).
They then developed human limbal stem cell culture (J. Cell Biol. 1999) for corneal regeneration in patients with severe limbal stem cell deficiency (Lancet 1997; N. Engl. J. Med 2010; Regen. Med. 2013; Stem Cells 2014, Regen. Med. 2016; Cornea 2019). This treatment leads to recovery of normal vision and is now reproduced worldwide. In February 2015 such cultures were formally approved as an Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product by EMA, which registered them under the name of Holoclar. Holoclar is the first stem cell-based therapy approved in Europe and EMA has indicated it amongst the most relevant achievements in the field in the last 20 years.
They have characterised molecular mechanisms regulating long term proliferative potential, clonal evolution and self-renewal of epithelial stem cells. In particular, they shed light on the role of p63 (different isoforms) and c/EBPδ in regulating the proliferative potential and the self-renewal of human corneal stem cells, respectively (PNAS 2001, 2005; J. Cell Biol. 2007). Notably, their work demonstrated that the clinical success of limbal stem cultures is dependent on a discrete number of stem cells identified as holoclones expressing the ΔNα isoform of p63 (N. Engl. J. Med. 2010, TMM 2011, Regen. Med. 2013).
De Luca and Pellegrini are also pioneering ex-vivo epithelial stem cell-mediated gene therapy for genetic skin diseases. They coordinated the first successful clinical trial to treat junctional epidermolysis bullosa (JEB) (Nat. Med. 2006; Stem Cell Rep. 2014; J. Invest. Dermatol, 2017; Nature, 2017).
JEB is a severe, often lethal genetic disease caused by mutations in genes encoding the basement membrane component laminin-332. Patients develop chronic skin and mucosa wounds, impairing their quality of life and leading to skin cancer. Pellegrini and De Luca have recently reported life-saving regeneration of entire, fully functional epidermis on a 7-year-old child suffering from a devastating, life-threatening form of JEB (Nature, 2017). Using integrations as clonal genetic marks, it was shown that the vast majority of epidermal TA progenitors are progressively lost within a few months after grafting and the regenerated epidermis is sustained only by a limited number of long-lasting, self-renewing stem cells (Cell Rep. 2019).
Based on this notion and on previous corneal data (N. Engl. J. Med 2010) they established that the essential feature of any cultured epithelial grafts is the presence and preservation of an adequate number of holoclone-forming cells. This provides a blueprint that can be applied to other stem cell-mediated ex vivo cell and gene therapies (N&V Nature 2010) by epithelial and other cell types (IOVS 2014 a & b; Current Transplantation 2018; Cell Prolif. 2019; Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2020).
Pellegrini has contributed to International Guidelines on Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency.
During their career, Pellegrini and De Luca, in collaboration with several clinicians, have treated:
• Approximately 400 patients with massive skin burns (life-saving)
• Over 300 patients with massive ocular burns (restoration of vision)
• Approximately 100 patients with stable vitiligo and piebaldism
• 170 patients with oral mucosa defects
• Approximately 10 patients with posterior hypospadias
• current PhaseI/II clinical trials of ex vivo gene therapy of Epidermolysis Bullosa (24 patients enrolled in Italy and Austria)
by means of cultured and characterized epithelial stem cells.
SUMMARY OF SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY
- Regulation of neurotransmitter release in central nervous system
- Adhesion mechanisms of human keratinocytes
- Biology of stem cells of human stratified epithelia
- Cell therapy by human epithelial cells cultured in vitro: epidermis for burnt patients and co-culture with melanocytes, used for the development of a protocol for clinical application on vitiligo patients; oral mucosa, urethra and ocular surface, in particular corneal surface, reconstructed in vitro for the first clinical application of cell therapy on limbal stem cell deficiency; the developed protocol allowed the treatment of specific type of blindness
- Gene therapy by genetically corrected keratinocytes
- Organization and spreading of cell therapy protocols and cultured cornea clinical application in Europe
- Translation of cell therapy protocol into GMP system (EU Regulation 1394/2007) and distribution of the advanced therapy for reconstruction of human corneal epithelium;
- International training on Cell Therapy protocol application for the regeneration of of human corneal epithelium (Holoclar) in Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency
- Science popularization for Unistem, Zanichelli, Piccin, National Geographic, World Economic Forum, TEDx and other.
AWARDS AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
- 1988 Best poster presented at XXIV Congresso Nazionale della Società Italiana di Farmacologia, Brescia, 25-28 September 1988
- 2002 Biennial Award“A.I.R.C.M.O.” (Italian Association for research and treatment of ocular pathologies), Rieti, 26 May 2002
- 2015 “Bonissima” Award assigned by the Major of Modena to the Centre for Regenerative Medicine “Stefano Ferrari”, Modena, 9 April 2015
- 2015 “Bonissima” Award assigned by the Major of Modena to Holostem Terapie Avanzate, Modena, 9 April 2015
- 2015 Award “Smart & Disruptive Companies 2015” assigned by MIT Technology Review Italy to Holostem Terapie Avanzate, Padova, 20 April 2015
- 2015 Best Italian abstract at American Urological Association’s 2015 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, USA, May 2015
- 2017 Award “Le Ragioni della Nuova Politica”, Roma,14 December 2017
- 2018 ISSCR Award for Innovation, Melbourne Australia, 20-23 June 2018 (co-awarded with Michele De Luca)
- 2018 International award “Lombardia è ricerca”, Milan, 8 November 2018 (co-awarded with Michele De Luca and Tobias Hirsch)
- 2020 – Louis-Jeantet Prize (co-awarded with Michele De Luca)
- 2020 – TERMIS Career Achievement Award, European branch of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society, 24-29 May 2020.
- 2020 – European Tech Women Award, London, 2 September 2020
In addiction, Holoclar has been awarded with:
- 2015 “Menzione speciale all’innovazione”, Premio Galeno Italia
- 2016 Prix Galien Netherlands
- 2016 Prix Galien United Kingdom.
- 2000-: Technology transfer of human corneal epithelial culture for transplantation, to J-TEC, Gamagori, Japan
- 2005 Chapter on the scientific activity on translation of regenerative medicine in Milano G. e Palmerini C., La rivoluzione delle cellule staminali, Feltrinelli, pp. 78-88
- 2014 Interview on the scientific activity on translation of regenerative medicine in Capocci M. e Corbellini G. (a cura di), Le cellule della speranza, Il caso Stamina tra inganno e scienza, Codice Edizioni, pp. 73-105
- 2014 Mention on scientific activities in Napoletano R., Viaggio in Italia, Rizzoli, pp. 55-56
- 2018 Women in Science, Part II, published on Stem Cell Report vol. 11 pp. 843-846, October 9 2018
- Science popularization on media, Italian (Class, Linx, L’oculista italiano, Oftalmologia Sociale, Radio 3 Scienza, Wired, Il Sole 24 Ore, Le Iene, L’Italia con voi) and abroad (ABCNews, Bio-tech Media, Eurostemcell, Nature, CNN, Dokters Van Morgen)
- Geraci G., De Rosa M., Rossi M., Cancedda R., De Luca M. and Pellegrini G., Cryoprotective acqueous solution useful for the preservation of in vitro cultured epithelial sheets, US Patent 5,670,308, Sep. 23, 1997
- Geraci G., De Rosa M., Rossi M., Cancedda R., De Luca M. and Pellegrini G., Cryoprotective acqueous solution useful for the preservation of in vitro cultured epithelial cells, EP Patent 0671877, Aug. 19, 1998
- De Luca M. and Pellegrini G., Case for the protection and the transportation of epidermis or skin grafts cultivated in vitro from a skin graft cut from a donor, US Patent 2003/034267, Feb. 20, 2003
- De Luca M. and Pellegrini G., Reconstructed laminae of human epithelium corneae and method of producing the same, US Patent 6,610,538, Aug. 26, 2003
- De Luca M. and Pellegrini G., In vitro reconstituted sheets of human corneal epithelium and method of producing the same, EP Patent 1451302, May 28, 2008
- Pellegrini G., Desogus M., Device for ocular sampling, particularly for peripheral corneal sampling, WO 2014/086878, 5 Dec. 2012.
- Pellegrini G., Sorani A. Container, Application PCT/EP 2017/062891 (WO2017/207488)
- Pellegrini G., Alessandrini A., De Luca M., In vitro method for producing a flap of genetically modified cells on fibrin substrate, Patent application n. 102017000094210 deposit 17 August 2017
- De Luca M., Pellegrini G. Usi terapeutici di lembi di cellule geneticamente modificate. National patent application n.102017000104587 OC/133447 A
- 1990 – 2003: Member of Italian Society of Cell Biology and Differentiation (FISV)
- 1999 – present: Member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophtalmology (ARVO)
- 2000: Founding Member of the International Ocular Surface Society (IOSS)
- 2003: Member of International Society of Dacryology and Dry Eye (ISDDE)
- 2004- 2005: Member of Tissue Engineering Society International (TESi)
- 2005 – present: Member of International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR)
- 2006 – present: Member of Società Italiana di Oftalmologia
- 2008 – present: Member of Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society (TFOS)
- 2010: Member of International Society for Eye Research (ISER)
- 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016: Member of European Society for Cell and Gene Therapy (ESCGT)
- 2010 – present: Member of Associazione Italiana di Biologia e Genetica (AIBG)
- 2012-2013, 2017-2018: Member of Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency Working Group, New Orleans
- 2012-2016: Member of European Society of Cornea & Ocular Surface Disease Specialists (EUCornea)
- 2014-2015, 2019-2020, 2021: International Society of Tissue Engineering (TERMIS)
- 2017-2019: Member of National Committee for Ethical Committee coordination
TEACHING (COURSES, SEMINARS & WORKSHOPS)
Courses at University of Modena and Reggio Emilia:
- 2006-2008 Experimental Models [BFS-1]
- 2006-2008 Experimental Models [BM-1]
- 2008-2010 Microbial and cellular biotechnologies [SBT-48]
- 2008-2012 Biological bases of Molecular and Regenerative Medicine [BMF-3]
- 2012-2014 Biological bases of Regenerative Medicine [BMD-7]
- 2014-2015 Technologies for Tissue Engineering [BMD-8]
- 2015-2020 Regenerative medicine [BTM-06]
- 2006-present: Professor at PhD Program in Molecular and Regenerative Medicine
Other teaching activities
- Adjunct professor in “Regional laboratory course in biotechnology” run by Cellife Biotechnology S.p.A. at IST Cancer Institute, Genova, 1991-92
- Adjunct professor in “Regional Advanced Course in Biotechnology” at Advanced Biotechnology Center, Genova, 1994
- Adjunct professor in “Chemioprevenzione dei tumori” course at Biotechnology and Experimental Oncology School, S.Margherita Ligure, Italy, 1995
- Adjunct professor in the European course “Advanced Technologies in Stem Cell Growth and Development” at EU Stem Cells School, 2002, Pisa, Italy
- Adjunct professor in annual course of Biological Tissues Bioengineering, 2002, Bressanone, Italy
- Seminar, Laval University, 2002, Quebec, Canada
- Adjunct professor in Stem Cell Course of Scuola Superiore di Immunologia “Ruggero Ceppellini”, 2003, Napoli, Italy
- Adjunct professor in Adult Stem Cell Corse of the Italian Branch of the European Tissue Culture Society, 2004, Brescia, Italy
- Professor, Scientific journalist Course University of Pavia, 2004, Pavia, Italy
- Professor, National theoretical and practical courses for ophthalmologists “Culture techniques and application of corneal epithelial stem cells”, 2004, Venice, Italy
- Professor, National and international theoretical and practical courses for ophthalmologists “Transplantation of in vitro expanded corneal stem cell”, 2004, Venice, Italy
- Seminar at Zeiss, 27 January 2005, Jena, Germany,
- Seminar on Confocal Microscopy, ICGEB, 20-21 April 2005 Trieste, Italia
- Seminar, University Hospital Basel 17 May 2005, Basilea, Switzerland
- Professor, Masters programme in Cell and Molecular Biology at the Ecole Normale Supérieure, Lyon 26 September 2005, Lione, France
- Professor, National theoretical and practical courses for ophthalmologists “Culture techniques and application of corneal epithelial stem cells”, 2006, Venice, Italy
- Seminar at University of Ferrara, 7 April. 2006, Ferrara, Italy
- Seminar at University of Ragusa, 6 May 2006, Ragusa, Italy
- Seminar at University f Milano, “Bioethic course on stem cells”, 2 October 2007, Milan, Italy
- Professor at International School of advanced biomedicine and bioinformatics “Stem cells: Biology, Biotechnology, medical applications”, University of Catania, 1-5 October 2007, Acitrezza, Italy
- Seminar “Cell Therapy of genetically modifiec epidermal cells, PhD Course in human Reproductive and Developmental Sciences, University of Bologna, 28 November 2007, Bologna, Italy
- Corso di Aggiornamento teorico-pratico “Microscopia: dalle molecole al paziente. Generare ed interpretare immagini in biomedicina”, 3-6 December 2007, Genova, Italy
- Seminar at J-TEC (Japanese Tissue Engineering Company), 21 April 2008, Gamagori, Japan
- Seminar on Regenerative Medicine, University of Parma, 5 May 2008, Parma, Italy
- Seminar at LVPEI (LV Prasad Eye Institute), 18 January 2009, Hyderabad, India
- Seminar on “Study, Reconstruction and clinical application of limbal-corneal epithelium”, 20 January 2009, Madurai, India
- Professor, Master program in Cell and Molecular Biology, Ecole Normale Supérieure, 22 January 2009, Lyon, France
- Seminar “Translational Medicine of stratified epithelia”, PhD program New perspectives in morphological sciences, University of Milan, 23 June 2009, Milan, Italy
- Professor, International Summer School on “Low vision: epidemiology and therapeutical approaches”, 17-24 September 2009, Lecce, Italy
- Professor, International School on Advanced Molecular Biomedicine, 2-6 October 2009, Acitrezza (CT), Italy
- Professor, Master Biosciences della Ecole Normale Superieure, 27-29 January 2010, Lione, France
- Seminar on “Permanent Corneal Regeneration by Autologous Cultures of Limbal Stem Cells: a Long-Term Clinical Study”, North East England Stem Cell Institute (NESCI), 25 February 2010, Newcastle, UK
- Hig Specialization Shortmaster “Apparecchiature Biomedicali: sistemi avanzati per la diagnostica e la terapia medica”, 23 April 2010, Mirandola (MO)
- Seminars CME & Doctoral Course “Regenerative and Transplantation Medicine in Ophthalmology”, 12-16 November 2011, Bangalore, India
- Seminar, Course of Bioethics 2011-2012, University of Milan, 5 March 2012, Milano, Italy
- UniStem Day 2012, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 9 March 2012, Modena, Italy
- UniStem Day 2013, University of Milan, 15 March 2013, Milan, Italy
- “Regenerative Medicine Seminar Series” at Cedars-Sinai, 3 October 2013, Los Angeles (USA)
- Course “Applicazioni Traslazionali dei Medicinali Sperimentali per Terapie Avanzate”, ISS, 18-19 November 2013, Roma, Italy
- Lesson to students of Scuola Media Istituto Sacro Cuore, 9 January 2014, Modena, Italy
- UniStem Day 2014, University of Modena e Reggio Emilia, 14 March 2014, Modena, Italy
- UniStem Day 2015, University of Modena e Reggio Emilia, 13 March 2015, Modena, Italy
- Seminar on “The ocular surface from basic science to industrialization” iBG-Izmir, Izmir Biomedicine and Genome Center, Dokuz Eylul University Health Campus, 24 April 2015, Izmir, Turchia
- Seminar “Esempi di medicina rigenerativa mediante epiteli di rivestimento”, University of Genova, Ciclo di Lezioni Seminariali “Medicina Rigenerativa Oggi”, 29 April 2015, Genova, Italy
- Professor at “Corso teorico-pratico sulla Citologia della Superficie Oculare”, University of Napoli Federico II, 7-8 October 2015, Napoli, Italy
- “La Scienza a scuola: 100 lessons by scientists and teachers “capire come la scienza cambia il mondo” organized by Zanichelli Editore, 30 November 2015, Milano, Italy
- Centro Chirurgico Toscano, Workshop “La ricostruzione del corpo umano con l’ingegneria tissulare e le cellule staminali: stato attuale e prospettive future”, April 16, 2016, Arezzo (Italy)
- Zanichelli Editore, Lessons “La scienza a scuola” , lesson to student of Liceo Lorenzini, 27 October 2016, Pescia (PT), Italy
- Institute of Reconstructive Neurobiology, University of Bonn, LIFE & BRAIN Center, Seminario “State of translational activities at the various sites”, Bonn, 3 November 2016
- Zanichelli Editor, Lessons “La scienza a scuola” , lesson to students of Liceo Scientifico Righi, Roma, 18 November 2016
- John Walton Muscular Dystrophy Research Centre, Newcastle University, Seminario “Advanced therapy medicinal products, road to the clinic”, 23 November 2016, Newcastle, UK
- Zanichelli Editor, Lessons “La scienza a scuola”, lessons to students of Liceo Scientifico Allegretti, 16 December 2016, Vignola (MO), Italy
- UniStem Day 2017, 17 March 2017, Roma, Italy
- Azienda Ospedaliera San Giovanni Addolorata, Course “Le cellule staminali in oftalmologia: le Ustioni Corneo-Congiuntivali”, 13 October 2017, Roma, Italy
- Ri.MED Foundation, Symposium “Restoration of Vision”, 26-27 October 2017, Roma, italy
- Zanichelli Editor, Lessons “La scienza a scuola” : Liceo Cornaro, 3 November 2017, Padova, Italy
- Zanichelli Editor, Lessons “La scienza a scuola” Liceo Scientifico Morin, 10 November 2017, Mestre, Italy
- Zanichelli Editore, Lessons “La scienza a scuola” Liceo Scarpa, 24 November 2017, Motta di Livenza, Italy
- AO Ospedali Riuniti Villa Sofia-Cervello, Seminar, 12 February 2018, Palermo, Italy
- UCLA, Stein Eye Institute, Seminar, 23 February 2018, Los Angeles, USA
- Unistem Day 2018, 16 March 2018, Modena, Italy
- Università di Roma Tor Vergata, “Frontiers in Genito-Urinary Reconstruction”, 13-14 April 2018, Roma, Italy
- 13th YES Meeting (Young European Scientist Meeting), 13-16 settembre 2018, Porto, Portugal
- 4th ITRUST Futurology Meeting, 26-28 September 2018, Roma
- “NAO Summit – Conoscenze a confronto”, 10 October 2018, Milan, Italy
- Il Ruolo del Farmacologo nel SSN, 20-21 November 2018, Roma, Italy
- BSRT, Berlin-Brandeburg School for Regenerative Therapies, Symposium “The Art of Failure: Regenerative Therapies from Experimental Sketches to Clinical Masterpieces”, 28-30 November 2018, Berlin, Germany
- University of Utrecht, “Introduction to Stem Cell Biology” Course, 15 January 2019, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- IT-ARVO Chapter Meeting, Terapie Avanzate in Oftalmologia, 15-16 February 2019, Catania, Italy
- H2020-MSCA-ITN-2017, European Training Networks, “Educating the next generation of scientists in translational medicine: Focus on eye diseases”, 11 July 2019, Modena, Italy
- Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC), Columbia Stem Cell Initiative (CSCI) Seminar Series, 24 October 2019, New York, USA
- Human and Mammalian genetics and Genomics: the 60th Mc Kusick short course, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbour, Maine, USA, 15-26 July 2020 (remote)
- Università degli Studi di Milano, lesson for 3rd edition of the 2nd Level Master in Pediatric Nephrology and Urology, Milano, Italy, 12 November 2020 (remote)
- Zanichelli Editor, Lesson “Riparare il nostro corpo con le cellule staminali”, Liceo Bruno Franchetti, Mestre (VE), Italy, 24 November 2020 (remote)
- EATRIS, ADVANCE ATMPs Development Online Course, 1 December 2020 (remote)
- Zanichelli Editor, Lesson “Riparare il nostro corpo con le cellule staminali”, Liceo Paleocapa, Rovigo, 2 December 2020 (remote)
- Utrecht University, PhD Programmes on Cancer Stem Cells & Developmental Biology (CSnD) and Regenerative Medicine, 10 December 2020, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini (remote)
- Zanichelli Editor, Lesson “Riparare il nostro corpo con le cellule staminali”, Liceo Vivona, Roma, 16 December 2020 (remote)
- REMIX Seminar Series on Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 18 January 2021, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini (remote)
- Zanichelli Editor, Lesson “Riparare il nostro corpo con le cellule staminali”, Liceo Gandini, Lodi, 15 February 2021, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini (remote)
- Biontech, Spring Session of Biotech online seminars, 10 March 2021, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini (remote)
SCIENTIFIC MEETING ORGANIZATION
- Co-Chairman, International Congress on Eye Research, 6-11 October 2002, Geneva, Switzerland
- Co-Chairman of Stem Cell I section, ARVO Annual Meeting, 28 April-4 May 2006, Ft.Lauderdale, FL, USA
- Co-Chairman of session “Basic Perspective in Ocular Surface Stem Cells”, International Congress on Eye Research, 29 October 2006, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- President and chairman, Meeting “Cornea – cellule staminali – chirurgia del trapianto”, 9 December 2006, Bolzano, Italy
- Member of International Scientific Committee, Asia-ARVO meeting, organizing session “Stem Cell Research”, 15-18 January 2009, Hyderabad, India
- Chairman and Co-chairman, Gordon Research Conference, 7-12 March 2010, Ventura, CA, USA
- World Ophthalmology Congress, 16-20 February 2012, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Session organizer, ARVO Annual Meeting, 6-10 May 2012, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
- Member of the Scientific Committee, ISSCR Annual Meeting 2017, 14-17 June 2017, Boston, MA, USA
- EUROCONFERENCE, “Tissue and cell engineering” 18-23 September 1998, S.Margherita Ligure, Italy
- Meeting “Il trapianto di cornea complicato” 8-9 October 1999 ,Castiglione della Pescaia, Italy
- VI Scientific Meeting A.I.S.Co, 25 November 1999, Roma, Italy
- XIV International Congress of Eye Research , 15-20 October 2000 Santa Fè, NM, USA
- The International Symposium of Modern Ophtalmology, 3-5 August 2001, Taipei,Taiwan
- First Singapore Eye Research Institute International Meeting, 27-30 September 2001, Singapore
- First Biennal Meeting of the European Tissue Engineering Society International, 7-10 November 2001, Freiburg, Germany
- First International Workshop “Cell therapy: filling the gap between basic science and clinical trials”, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, 15-17 October 2001, Rome, Italy
- “Advances on stem cell implants for ocular surface diseases”, Hospital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, 9 April 2002, Montreal , Canada
- Meeting of Vision Health Network of Fonds de Recherche en Santè du Quebec, 12 April 2002, Trois Rivieves, Canada
- 1st European Meeting Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment of Ocular SurfaceDisease, 31 May-1 June 2002, S. Margherita Ligure, Italy
- EVER (European Vision and Eye Research) Symposium, September 2002, Lisboa, Portugal
- 6th Allergan symposium, 27 September 2002, Londra, UK
- ICER (International Congress on Eye Research) Meeting, 6-11 October 2002, Geneva, Switzerland
- From stem cells to clinic, Reserche, Technologie Transfertet role des fondationsbancaires, Dec 6 December 2002, Brussel, Belgium
- French Symposium of Ophtalmology, Hopital Hotel Dieu, 25 January 2003, Paris, France
- SITRAC (Italian Society of Cornea Transplantation) Symposium, February 2003, Mestre, Italy
- SICSSO (Italian Society of Stem Cells of the Ocular Surface) and IOSS (International Ocular Surface Society) Meeting, 5-7 June 2003, Erice, Italy
- EEBA (European Eye Bank Association) Annual Meeting, 21 June 2003, Washington, USA
- ETES (European Tissue Engineering Society) 2nd Annual Meeting, 3-6 September 2003, Genova, Italy
- Korean Ophtalmology Annual Symposium, 11 October 2003, Seoul, Korea
- TESi (Tissue Engineering Society International), December 2003, Orlando, FL, USA
- SITRAC Italian Society of Cornea Transplantation Symposium 26-28 February 2004, Siena, Italy
- SIG (Special Interest Group) at ARVO (Association for Research in Vision and Ophtalmology), 24-30 April 2004, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
- Workshop on Stem Cells, Italian Association for Cell Culture, 3 May 2004, Brescia, Italy
- SOI (Italian Ophthalmology Society) Annual Meeting, 20-22 May 2004, Napoli, Italy
- SICSSO (Italian Society of Ocular Surface Stem Cells), 3-4 June 2004, Maiori (SA), Italy
- Superficie Oculare a-z Meeting, 2-3 July 2004, Bari, Italy
- Eye Banking and Tissue Engineering, 22-23 September 2004, Genova, Italy
- EVER (European Vision and Eye Research) Meeting 23-26 September 2004, Lisbona, Portugal
- Tissue Banks, Recent development and new perspectives, 25 October 2004, Torino, Italy
- SOI (Italian Ophthalmology Society) Meeting 22 November 2004, Roma, Italy
- XI Annual Symposium, Ranbaxy Science Foundation, 7-10 March 2005, Hyderabad, India
- Meeting “ Cellule staminali: dal laboratorio all’applicazione clinica”, Spedali Civili di Brescia. 31 May 2005, Brescia, Italy
- SICSSO (Italian Society of Ocular Surface Stem Cells), 3 June 2005, Venezia, Italy
- V Meeting SOC (Società Oftalmologia Calabrese) 1-2 July 2005, Siderno (RC), Italy
- LOEX Symposium, 22-24 September 2005, Quebec, Canada
- VII Research Days, Federal University of Sao Paolo, 8-10 December 2005, Sao Paolo, Brasil
- Meeting “La frontiera della Ricerca Scientifica”, 7 April 2006, Cento (FE), Italy
- Meeting “Educazione Continua in Oftalmologia 2006 – Le Cellule Staminali Nella Patologia Della Superficie Oculare”, 27 April 2006, Modena, Italy
- The Royal College Of Ophthalmologists Annual Congress, 23-25 May 2006, Manchester, UK
- SICSSO (Italian Society of Ocular Surface Stem Cells) V National Congress “The latest on ocular surface”, 1-3 June 2006, Roma, Italia..
- Meeting at Istituto Humanitas, 16 Settembre 2006, Rozzano (MI), Italia.
- ISER (International Society for Eye Research), XVII International Congress on Eye Research, 29 October– 3 November 2006, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- President and Speaker, Meeting “Cornea – cellule staminali – chirurgia del trapianto”, 9 December 2006, Bolzano, Italy
- SOI (Italian Ophthalmology Society) Annual Meeting 23-25 May 2007, Roma, Italy
- SICSSO (Italian Society of Ocular Surface Stem Cells) International Congress,14-17 June 2007, Lecce, Italy
- 3° Meeting Day on Stem cell “Terapia Cellulari con Cellule Staminali Adulte”, 22 June 2007, Milano, Italy
- TFOS (Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society) Meeting, 3-7 September 2007, Taormina, Italy
- Regenerative Medicine, Brainstorming of European Community Scientific Department, 20 September 2007, Bruxelles, Belgium
- Premio Sapio, Giornata di studio sulle Biotechnologie “Stem Cell Research & Clinical Application”, 23 November 2007, Milano, italy
- SITraC (Società Italiana Trapianto di Cornea) Congress, 21-23 February 2008, Milano, Italy
- Regenerative medicine expert consultation meeting, 6 March 2008, Bruxelles, Belgium
- CIBA Vision Symposium in the 112th Japanese Ophthalmological Society Meeting, 19 April 2008, Yokohama, Japan
- Cimtec Symposium, Smart Biomaterials, 8-13 June 2008, Acireale, italy
- Conference on clinical application of cultured epithelium in limbal stem cell deficiency (LSCD), 25 June 2008, Belfast, Ireland
- ESCCA european Congress, “Cell Therapy”, 19 September 2008, Bremen, Germany
- Asia-ARVO Meeting, Stem Cell Research session, Seeking stem cells session, 15-18 January 2009, Hyderabad, India
- SITraC (Italian Society on Cornea Transplant) meeting, 26-28 February 2009, Torino, Italy
- Chiesi R&D Award, 7 April 2009, Parma, Italy
- 26th Biennial Cornea Research Conference, 9-10 October 2009, Boston, USA
- SIOG congresso “Aggiornamenti in genetica oculare: diagnosi e trattamento delle patologie oculari geneticamente determinate”, 8 February 2010, Milano, Italy
- Gordon Conference “Biology & Pathobiology of the Cornea”, 7-11 March 2010, Ventura, CA, USA
- World Cornea Congress VI, 7-9 April 2010, Boston, USA
- ARVO (Association for Research in Vision and Ophtalmology) Annual Meeting, 2-6 May 2010, Fort Lauderdale, USA
- World Ophtalmology Congress, 5-9 June 2010, Berlin, Germany
- International Congress of Eye Resarch, 18-23 July 2010, Montreal, Canada
- Paul Martini Foundation Workshop, 16 September 2010, Berlin, Germany
- 66th International Conference on the Tear Film & Ocular Surface (TFOS), 23-25 September 2010, Firenze, Italy
- 18th ESGCT Annual Congress, 22-25 October 2010, Milano, Italia
- The 2nd Asia Cornea Society Biennal Scientific Meeting, 1-3 December 2010, Kyoto, Japan
- Dutch Medical Research Council (ZonMw) ATMP workshop, 9-10 March 2011, Heeze,The Netherlands
- Accademia Nazionale di Scienze, Lettere e Arti di Modena, Conference on “Cellule staminali e medicina rigenerativa”, 19 March 2011, Modena, Italy
- ARVO Annual Meeting, 1-5 maggio 2011, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
- Annual conference “Vision Restoration: Regenerative Medicine in Ophthalmology”, 26-27 May 2011, Pittsburgh, USA
- 10th Congress of the French Society of Cell and Gene Therapy, 6-8 June 2011,Nantes, Francia
- First International Joint Congress ROL&SICSSO, 7-9 July 2011, Principina a mare (GR), Italy
- UniStem, “Cellule staminali nella sperimentazione clinica”, 24 June 2011, Milano, Italy
- 2nd Polish Congress of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 5-9 September 2011, Krakow, Poland
- NIRM Symposium “Recent Development in Stem Cell Research”, 20 September 2011, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 4th Annual Limbal Stem Cell Meeting, 23 settembre 2011, Nottingham, UK
- Convegno Unisalute “Le cellule Staminali e il loro Impiego attuale nella clinica”, 30 September 2011, Bologna, Italy
- Biotech 2011, 6 October 2011, Milano, Italy
- 115th Annual American Academy of Ophtalmology Meeting, 22-25 October 2011, Orlando, FL, USA
- Karnataka Ophthalmic Society, 30th Annual Conference, 11-13 November 2011, Bangalore, India
- 56° Congresso Nazionale della Società Italiana di Gerontologia e Geriatria, 30 November 2011, Firenze, Italy
- World Ophthalmology Congress 2012, 16-20 February 2012, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 26° Congresso nazionale SITRAC, 23-25 February 2012, Roma, Italy
- UniStem, IV edizione della Giornata della Scienza dedicata alle scuole superiori, 9 March 2012, Modena, Italy
- “Working group of the Pontificial Academy of Sciences on new developments in stem cell research and possible application in medicine”, 16-17 April 2012, Città del Vaticano
- ARVO Annual Meeting, 6-10 May 2012, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
- 2nd International Joint Congress ROL&SICSSO, 28-30 June 2012, Roma, Italy
- EMBO Conference Series on Regeneration, 2-6 September 2012, Oxford, UK
- NICB, Conference “Biothecnology in Action 2012”, 4-6 September 2012, Dublin, Ireland
- 3th EuCornea congress, 6-8 September 2012, Milano, Italy
- ESGT-SFTCG Annual Congress 2012, 25-29 October 2012, Versailles, Francia
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Cornea Society Limbal Stem Working Group, 12 November 2012, Chicago, USA
- Convegno “CELLULE STAMINALI : Stato dell’arte e indicazioni cliniche fra dilemmi etici e prescrizioni istituzionali”, Ordine dei Medici Chirurghi ed Odontoiatri, 2 February 2013, Brescia, Italy
- Unistem Day 2013, 14 March 2013, Milano, Italy
- Japanese Ophthalmological Society 117th Annual Meeting, 4-7 April 2013, Tokyo, Japan
- EATRIS Conference on Translational Medicine, 3-4 June 2013, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 11th ISSCR Annual Meeting, 12-15 June 2013, Boston, MA, USA
- PDA Europe Conference, “Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products”, 25-26 June 2013, Firenze, Italy
- 3rd Joint Meeting of Refr@active.online and SICSSO, 27-29 June 2013, Siena, Italy
- 12th Congress of the Transplant Society, 7-11 July 2013, Milano, Italy
- University of Vermont, International Workshop “Stem Cells and Cellular Therapies in Lung Biology and Lung Diseases Conference”, 29 July-1 August 2013, Burlington, USA
- ISSCR, Regional Forum Series 2013, “Stem Cells in Translation, 15-18 September 2013, Firenze, Italy
- TFOS 7th International Conference on the Tear Film & Ocular Surface: basic science and clinical relevance”, 18-21 September 2013, Taormina (CT), Italy
- Stem Cell Biology Symposium, 24-28 September 2013, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA
- XV Congresso Nazionale AIBG, 27-28 September 2013, Arcavacada di Rende (CS), taly
- Cornea Society Limbal Stem Cell Working Group Meeting, 17 November 2013, New Orleans, USA
- 6° Convegno Annuale ONLUS-AICC (Associazione Italiana di Colture Cellulari), “Progressi e prospettive delle terapie cellulari”, 20-22 November 2013, Brescia, Italy
- EATRIS (European Infrastructure for Translational Medicine), “ATMP Platform Meeting”, 16-17 December 2013, Rome, Italy
- 6th International Symposium “Advances in diagnosis and treatment of corneal diseases”, 6-8 March 2014, Wisla, Poland
- Senato della Repubblica, Commissione Igiene e Sanità, “Le Applicazioni delle Cellule Staminali in Medicina Rigenerativa”, 15 April 2014, Palazzo Giustiniani, Roma, Italy
- SIBO (Società Italiana Banche degli Occhi) National Congress, 10 May 2014, Monza, Italy
- 2014 Nature China Conference, 29-31 May 2014, Guangzhou, China
- TERMIS-EU, 2014 Chapter Meeting, 10-13 June 2014, Genova, Italy
- I Congress of the Polish Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Biophysics and Bioinformatics – BIO2014, 9-12 September 2014, Warsaw, Poland
- EU Cornea Meeting – Symposium on “Corneal donation practice in Europe”, 12-13 September 2014, London, UK
- Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Primo incontro scientifico di Ateneo su “Cellule Staminali e Medicina Rigenerativa”, 7 October 2014, Modena, Italy
- EMBO Conference on Stem Cells in Cancer and Regenerative Medicine 2014, 9-12 October 2014, Heidelberg, Germany
- STUEMO (Società Tosco-Umbro-Emiliano-Marchigiana di Oftalmologia), Congresso Annuale “Innnovazione in Oftalmochirurgia”, 25 October 2014, Modena, Italy
- ISCF (International Stem Cell Forum) Symposium, “Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cells: Translational Challenges”, 18 November 2014, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Universidad de los Andes, 2nd Chilean Congress for Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine”, 27-29 November 2014, Santiago, Chile
- World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2015, 21-24 January 2015, Davos, Switzerland
- Workshop “Dalla ricerca sulle staminali alla ‘fabbrica’ dei nuovi farmaci”, 10 Aprile 2015, Modena, Italy
- American Urological Association, AUA 2015 Annual Meeting, 15-29 May 2015, New Orleans, USA, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini
- EATRIS, Second EATRIS Conference “Building Bridges in Translational Medicine”, 27-28 May 2015, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- PDA, 2015 PDA Europe Conference, “Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products”, 2-3 June 2015, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Gordon Research Conference “Exploring Innovations in Tissue Repair and Regeneration: From Bench to Therapies”, 7-12 June 2015, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, NH, USA
- XIV SICSSO Congress “Endothelial Keratoplasty: DSAEK or DMEK?”, 25-27 June 2015, Lecce, Italy
- Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences (IZN)-Neurobiologie, Ruprecht-Karls-Universitat, Retreat on “Translational Neuroscience: from Cell Biology to Therapeutics”, 19-20 July 2015, Heidelberg, Germany
- Sun Yatsen University, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, “Biannual Meeting of International Society of Ocular Cell Biology” (ISOCB), August 7-9, 2015, Guangzhou, China
- EMBO Conference “Cell therapy today: achievements, hopes and hypes”, 9-13 September 2015, Manchester, UK
- Turkish Stem Cell Society, 2nd International Stem Cell Meeting”, 30 September-3 October 2015, Antalya, Turkey
- Fundação Oswaldo Cruz (FIOCRUZ), Gonçalo Moniz Research Center, “I° FIOCRUZ Workshop on Regenerative Medicine”, 1-2 October 2015, Salvador de Bahia, Brasil
- German Ophthalmological Society, DOG Meeting “Ocular surface reconstruction State of the art and future concepts”, 1-4 October 2015, Berlin, Germany
- EMBO Workshop “Stem cell mechanobiology in development and disease”, 18-21 October, Capri, Italy
- Azienda Ospedaliera San Gerardo, Convegno “Terapie Avanzate: Pratica Clinica e Qualità nella Produzione”, 26 October 2015, Roma, Italy
- AIFA (Agenzia Italiana del Farmaco), ° PIC/S Expert Circle Meeting on Human Blood,Tissues, Cells & ATMPs”, 28 October 2015, Roma, Italy
- SOI-ASMOOI (Associazione Sindacale Medici Oculisti ed Ortottisti Italiani), Simposio “Le Cellule Staminali in Oftalmologia: Presente e Futuro”, 25 November 2015, Roma, Italy
- EATRIS Educational Workshop on “ATMP development”, 26-27 November 2015, Palermo, Italy
- Azienda Ospedaliera San Giovanni Addolorata & S.I.TRA.C, “Le Cellule Staminali in Oftalmologia: Presente e Futuro”, 12 December 2015, Roma, Italy
- XX Congresso Nazionale SITRAC, Simposio “Cellule Staminali e Ustioni Oculari: il nuovo traguardo della Ricerca Clinica”, 25 February 2016, Rimini
- ARVO, 2016 Annual Meeting, Minisimposia on “Cornea Regeneration”, 1-5 May 2016 , Seattle, USA
- Novo Nordisk Foundation & Danish Stem Cell Center (DanStem), “The Stem Cell Niche – Development and Disease”Conference, Bi-Annual Copenhagen Bioscience Conference, 22-26 May 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark
- ECRD 2016, 8th European Conference on Rare Diseases & Orphan Products, 26-28 May 2016, Edinburgh ,UK
- Christian Medical College, Centre for Stem Cell Research, 1st Annual Symposium on Cell and Gene Therapy, 5-6 August 2016, Vellore, India
- The Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association, 64th Annual TNOA Conference, 5-7 August 2016, Vellore, India
- Gordon Research Conference 2016, “Tissue Niches & Resident Stem Cells in Adult Epithelia”, 7-12 August 2016, Hong Kong, China
- 7th EuCornea Congress, 9-10 September 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark
- XXXIV ESCRS Congress, Clinical Research Symposium “Stem Cell and the Eye”, 10 September 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Inaugural Meeting of Hellenic Society of Gene Therapy and Regenerative Medicine, 23-24 September 2016, Thessaloniki, Greece
- ESGCT-ISSCR-ABCD Stem Cells and Gene Therapy Meeting, 18-21 October 2016, Firenze, Italy
- International Conference, New Trends in Practical Ophthalmology, 21-22 April 2017, Szczecin, Poland
- The Biology of Regenerative Medicine Conference, 25-27 April 2017, Cambridge, UK
- Gordon Research Conference, GRC on Epithelial differentiation and keratinization, “Epithelial interactions in development, homeostasis, disease and therapy”, 7-12 May 2017, Lucca, Italy
- Accademia Pontificia Lateranense, Workshop of “Patient’s Need and Regulatory Medicine Agencies”, 23 June 2017, Roma, Italy
- Canadian Ophthalmological Society, COS 2017 Annual Meeting, 15-18 June 2017, Montréal, Canada
- EACPT, 13th Congress of the European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 24-27 June 2017, Prague, Czech Republic
- EATRIS Translational Medicine Conference, 24-26 September 2017, Prague, Czech Republic
- Friends of Europe, State of Europe high-level Roundtable, 11-12 October 2017, Bruxelles, Belgium
- Nature Conferences, “Regeneration”, 16-18 November 2017, Milano, Italy
- Gordon Research Conference, Cornea & Ocular Surface Biology & Pathology Conference, 18-23 February 2018, Ventura, CA, USA
- Netherlands Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (NVGCT) 2018 Spring Symposium, 15-16 March 2018, Lunteren, The Netherlands
- Università Roma Tor Vergata, “Frontiers in Genito-Urinary Reconstruction, Updates, Tissue Engineering and Penile Transplant”, 13 -14 April 2018, Roma, Italy
- AUA (American Urological Association), 2018 Annual Meeting, 17-21 May 2018, San Francisco, USA
- International Society for Stem Cell Research, 2018 ISSCR Annual Meeting, 20-23 June 2018, Melbourne, Australia
- 13th YES Meeting, Young European Scientist Meeting, 13-16 September 2018, Porto, Portugal
- Congress BIO2018, International Congress of the Polish Biochemical Society and Polish Cell Biology, 18-21 September 2018, Gdansk, Polonia
- 14th AOPT Meeting, Next Generation Ocular Therapeutics, 7-10 March 2019, New Orleans (USA)
- European Association of Urology, 34th Annual EAU Congress (EAU19), 15-19 March 2019, Barcelona, Spain Prof. Graziella Pellegrini
- Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), EU Chapter 2019 Meeting, 27-31 May 2019, Rhodes, Greece
- SCR, X Meeting Stem Cell Research Italy, 5-7 June 2019, Napoli, Italy
- Federation of European Biochemical Societies , 44th FEBS Congress, “From molecules to Living Systems”, 6-11 July 2019, Krakow, Poland
- European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons, 37th Congress of the ESCRS, 14 September 2019, Paris, France
- European Society of Organ Transplantation, ESOT Congress 2019 “Inspiring minds, Driving progress”, 15-18 September 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark
- New York Stem Cell Foundation, NYSCF 2019 Conference, 22-23 October 2019, New York, USA
- ISSCR’s International Symposium Series, “From Stem Cell Biology to New Therapies”, 6-8 November 2019, Toronto, Canada
- FEAM European Biomedical Policy Forum, Workshop on “Regenerative Medicine: Scientific Advances and Regulatory Framework in Europe”, 27 November 2019, Bruxelles, Belgium
- 60th Annual Meeting of the Ophthalmological Society of Taiwan, 13-15 December 2019, Taipei, Taiwan
- Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), EU Chapter 2020 Meeting, Manchester, UK, 24-29 May 2020 (Remote)
- London Tech Week, European Tech Women Award, London, 4 September 2020 (Remote)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease, III Edition, 22 January 2021, Verona, Italy, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini
- ATMP Sweden, ATMP Virtual World Tour, “hospital exemption and commercialization of ATMPs”, 29 April 2021, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini
- ATMP Sweden, ATMP World Tour Program, 26-30 of April 2021, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini (remote)
- ARVO 2021 Virtual Annual Meeting, SIG Session (Special Interest Group) entitled “The effect of ocular surface microenvironment on epithelial stem cells: translational implications”, 06 May 2021, Prof. Graziella Pellegrini
GRANTS AND OTHER FINANCIAL SUPPORTS
- 2003-2005 Coordinator of project “Corneal Epithelial Stem cells culture and Transplantation” funded by Istituto Superiore di Sanità
- 2004-2007 Contractor of project “CORNEA-ENGINEERING – Three dimensional reconstruction of human corneas by tissue engineering” funded by European Community (EU, FP6-2002-NMP n. 504017)
- 2004-2006 Coordinator of project “Correction of genetic defects of macular corneal dystrophy type II in patients with corneal opacity” Funded by Veneto Region
- 2004-2008 Co-coordinator of project “Tissue repair by in vitro cultured conjunctival epithelium and clinical application” Funded by IDI Farmaceutici S.p.A. and MIUR
- 2004-2005 Coordinator of project “Treatment of bilateral limbal stem cell deficiency with cultured epidermal cell grafts on patients with no therapeutic alternatives” funded by Rome Bank Foundation
- 2006-2008 Contractor of the project “Ocular surface reconstruction in chemically burnt patients by cultured conjunctival graft” funded by National program on oriented research
- 2006 Co-Coordinator of the project “Tissue repair by conjunctival epithelium reconstruction in vitro and clinical application” funded by Padova e Rovigo Bank Foundation
- 2007-2009 Coordinator of the project “Corneal organotypic culture and diagnosis of blindness related to deep corneal lesions” funded by National program on oriented research for Veneto Region
- 2007-2009 Coordinator of the project “ Diagnosis and treatment of blindness due to bilateral total limbal stem cell deficiency” funded by by National program on oriented research for Alto Adige Region (RF-PAB-2006-344265)
- 2009-2011 Contractor of the project “Nerve growth factor (NGF) as a main actor in the activation/recruitment of ocular surface stem cells: in vitro and in vivo studies”, funded by Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Roma
- 2009-2011 Coordinator of the PRIN project “Utilizzo di nanotecnologie e medicina rigenerativa per la ricostruzione dell’uretra umana per il trattamento di stenosi uretrali recidivanti” (2008JJTFCW-001)
- 2011-2015 Contractor of the project Bio-COMET “Bioreactor-based, clinically oriented manufacturing of engineered tissues” Funded by Eurpean community (278807-FP7-HEALTH)
- 2012 Contractor of the project Bio-Trachea “Biomaterials for tracheal replacement in age-related cancer via a humanly engineered airway” Funded by European community (280584 FP7-NMP-2011-SMALL-5)
- 2013 Contractor of the project “ENDOMATRIX – Development of an engineered eNDOchondral extracellular MATRIX for bone regeneration” finanziato dall’Unione Europea (E!7865)
- 2015 PI of the project “Investigation of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) effects on Rabbit ocular epithelial cell cultures”
- 2016 PI of the 3 years project “Medicina Rigenerativa dell’uretra”
- 2016 PI of the project funded by Gem Italy on surgical glue study for evaluation of toxicity on human tissues.
- 2018 Co-PI of the grant “Lombardia è ricerca” Prize funded by Lombardia Region
- 2020 Co-PI of the grant funded by Louis-Jeantet Prize
- Pittaluga A, Asaro D, Pellegrini G, Raiteri M. Studies on [3H]GABA and endogenous GABA release in rat cerebral cortex suggest the presence of autoreceptors of the GABAB type. Eur J Pharmacol. 1987 Nov 24;144(1):45-52. doi:10.1016/0014-2999(87)90007-0
- Bonanno G, Pellegrini G, Asaro D, et al In vitro release of somatostatin from rat cerebral cortex synaptosomes and slices. Pharmacol Res Comm. 1988(20, Suppl 2):48 doi:10.1016/S0031-6989(88)80178-4
- Bonanno G, Pellegrini G, Asaro D et al. Human brain cortex nerve endings are endowed with GABA autoreceptors of the GABA B Pharmacol Res Comm. 1988(20, Suppl 2): 49 doi:10.1016/S0031-6989(88)80179-6
- Raiteri M, Asaro D, Pellegrini G et al. GabaB autoreceptor regulates 3H-Gaba and endogenous GABA release from rat cerebral cortex synaptosomes. Pharmacol Res Comm 1988(20, Suppl 2):323 doi:10.1016/S0031-6989(88)80453-3
- Bonanno G, Cavazzani P, Andrioli GC, Asaro D, Pellegrini G, Raiteri M. Release-regulating autoreceptors of the GABAB-type in human cerebral cortex. Br J Pharmacol. 1989 Feb;96(2):341-6. doi:10.1111/j.1476-5381.1989.tb11823.x
- Bonanno G, Pellegrini G, Asaro D, Fontana G, Raiteri M. GABAB autoreceptors in rat cortex synaptosomes: response under different depolarizing and ionic conditions. Eur J Pharmacol. 1989 Mar 7;172(1):41-9. doi:10.1016/0922-4106(89)90043-6
- Raiteri M, Pellegrini G, Cantoni C, Bonanno G. A novel type of GABA receptor in rat spinal cord? Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1989 Dec;340(6):666-70. doi:10.1007/BF00717742
- Pellegrini G, Gherzi R, Franzi AT, D’Anna F, De Luca M, Cancedda R. In vitro reconstitution of differentiated human epithelia. ATLA. 1992; 20:95-102.
- Pellegrini G, De Luca M, Orecchia G, Balzac F, Cremona O, Savoia P, Cancedda R., Marchisio PC. Expression, topography and function of integrin receptors is severely altered in keratinocytes from involved and uninvolved psoriatic skin. J Clin Invest. 1992 Jun;89(6):1783-95. doi:10.1172/JCI115782
- De Luca M, Pellegrini G, Bondanza S, Cremona O, Savoia P, Cancedda R, Marchisio PC. The control of polarized integrin topography and the organization of adhesion-related cytoskeleton in normal human keratinocytes depend upon number of passages in culture and ionic environment. Exp Cell Res. 1992 Sep;202(1):142-50. doi:10.1016/0014-4827(92)90413-3
- Marchisio PC, Cremona O, Savoia P, Pellegrini G, Ortonne JP, Verrando P, Burgeson RE, Cancedda R, De Luca M. The basement membrane protein BM-600/nicein codistributes with kalinin and the integrin alpha 6 beta 4 in human cultured keratinocytes. Exp Cell Res. 1993 Apr;205(2):205-12. doi:10.1006/excr.1993.1078
- De Luca M, Pellegrini G, Zambruno G, Marchisio PC. Role of integrins in cell adhesion and polarity in normal keratinocytes and human skin pathologies. J Dermatol. 1994 Nov;21(11):821-8. doi:10.1111/j.1346-8138.1994.tb03296.x
- Schiaffino MV, Baschirotto C, Pellegrini G, Montalti S, Tacchetti C, De Luca M, Ballabio A. The ocular albinism type 1 gene product is a membrane glycoprotein localized to melanosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996 Aug 20;93(17):9055-60.
- Pellegrini G, Traverso C, Franzi AT, Zingirian M, Cancedda R, De Luca M. Long-term restoration of damaged corneal surfaces with autologous cultivated corneal epithelium. Lancet 1997 Apr 5;349(9057):990-3. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(96)11188-0
- Tsubota K, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Corneal epithelial stem-cell transplantation. Lancet. 1997 April 5; 349(9064):1556. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(05)62141-1
- De Luca M, Pellegrini G. The importance of epidermal stem cells in keratinocyte-mediated gene therapy. Gene Ther. 1997 May;4(5):381-3.
- Dellambra E, Vailly J, Pellegrini G, Bondanza S, Golisano O, Macchia C, Zambruno G, Meneguzzi G, De Luca M. Corrective transduction of human epidermal stem cells in laminin-5-dependent junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Hum Gene Ther. 1998 Jun 10;9(9):1359-70. doi:10.1089/hum.1998.9.9-1359.
- Pellegrini G, Bondanza S, Guerra L, De Luca M. Cultivation of human keratinocyte stem cells: current and future clinical applications. Med Biol Eng Comput. 1998 Nov;36(6):778-90.
- Pellegrini G, Golisano O, Paterna P, Lambiase A, Bonini S, Rama P, De Luca M. Location and clonal analysis of stem cells and their differentiated progeny in the human ocular surface. J Cell Biol. 1999 May 17;145(4):769-82. doi:10.1083/jcb.145.4.769
- Chistolini P, De Angelis G, De Luca M, Pellegrini G, Ruspantini I. Analysis of the mechanical properties of in vitro reconstructed epidermis: preliminary results. Med Biol Eng Comput. 1999 Sep;37(5):670-2.
- Pellegrini G, Ranno R, Stracuzzi G, Bondanza S, Guerra L, Zambruno G, Micali G, De Luca M. The control of epidermal stem cells (holoclones) in the treatment of massive full-thickness burns with autologous keratinocytes cultured on fibrin. Transplantation. 1999 Sep 27;68(6):868-79.
- Guerra L, Capurro S, Melchi F, Primavera G, Bondanza S, Cancedda R, Luci A, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Treatment of “stable” vitiligo by Timedsurgery and transplantation of cultured epidermal autografts. Arch Dermatol. 2000 Nov;136(11):1380-9. doi:10.1001/archderm.136.11.1380
- Dellambra E, Pellegrini G, Guerra L, Ferrari G, Zambruno G, Mavilio F, De Luca M. Toward epidermal stem cell-mediated ex vivo gene therapy of junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Hum Gene Ther. 2000 Nov 1;11(16):2283-7. doi:10.1089/104303400750035825
- Pellegrini G, Dellambra E, Golisano O, Martinelli E, Fantozzi I, Bondanza S, Ponzin D, McKeon F, De Luca M. p63 identifies keratinocyte stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Mar 13;98(6):3156-61. doi:10.1073/pnas.061032098
- Rama P, Bonini S, Lambiase A, Golisano O, Paterna P, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Autologous fibrin-cultured limbal stem cells permanently restore the corneal surface of patients with total limbal stem cell deficiency. Transplantation. 2001 Nov 15;72(9):1478-85.
- Guerra L, Primavera G, Raskovic D, Pellegrini G, Golisano O, Bondanza S, Paterna P, Sonego G, Gobello T, Atzori F, Piazza P, Luci A, De Luca M. Erbium:YAG laser and cultured epidermis in the surgical therapy of stable vitiligo. Arch Dermatol. 2003 Oct;139(10):1303-10. doi:10.1001/archderm.139.10.1303
- Guerra L, Primavera G, Raskovic D, Pellegrini G, Golisano O, Bondanza S, Kuhn S, Piazza P, Luci A, Atzori F, De Luca M. Permanent repigmentation of piebaldism by erbium:YAG laser and autologous cultured epidermis. Br J Dermatol. 2004 Apr;150(4):715-21. doi: 10.1111/j.0007-0963.2004.05500.x
- Pellegrini G. Changing the cell source in cell therapy?. N Engl J Med. 2004 Sep 16;351(12):1170-2. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp048199
- Pellegrini G, Dellambra E, Paterna P, Golisano O, Traverso CE, Rama P, Lacal P, De Luca M. Telomerase activity is sufficient to bypass replicative senescence in human limbal and conjunctival but not corneal keratinocytes. Eur J Cell Biol. 2004 Dec;83(11-12):691-700. doi:10.1078/0171-9335-00424
- Di Iorio E, Barbaro V, Ruzza A, Ponzin D, Pellegrini G, De Luca M. Isoforms of DNp63 and the migration of ocular limbal cells in human corneal regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Jul 5;102(27):9523-8. Epub 2005 Jun 27. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0503437102
- Volpi N, Maccari F, Ferrari S, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Separation of keratan-sulfate-derived disaccharides by high-performance liquid chromatography and postcolumn derivatization with 2-cyanoacetamide and fluorimetric detection. Anal Biochem. 2005 Jul 15;342(2):200-5. doi:10.1016/j.ab.2005.04.020
- Ferrari S, Pellegrini G, Mavilio F, De Luca M. Gene therapy approaches for epidermolysis bullosa. Clin Dermatol. 2005 Jul-Aug;23(4):430-6. doi:10.1016/j.clindermatol.2004.07.017
- De Luca M, Pellegrini G, Green H. Regeneration of squamous epithelia from stem cells of cultured grafts. Regen Med. 2006 Jan;1(1):45-57. doi:10.2217/17460722.214.171.124
- Ferrari S, Pellegrini G, Matsui T, Mavilio F, De Luca M. Gene therapy in combination with tissue engineering to treat epidermolysis bullosa. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2006 Apr;6(4):367-78. doi:10.1517/147125126.96.36.1997
- Ferrari S, Pellegrini G, Matsui T, Mavilio F, De Luca M. Towards a gene therapy clinical trial for epidermolysis bullosa. Rev Recent Clin Trials. 2006 May;1(2):155-62. doi: 10.2174/157488706776876472
- Mavilio F, Pellegrini G, Ferrari S, Di Nunzio F, Di Iorio E, Recchia A, Maruggi G, Ferrari G, Bonini C, Capurro S, Conti A, Magnoni C, Giannetti A, De Luca M. Correction of junctional epidermolysis bullosa by transplantation of genetically modified epidermal stem cells. Nat Med. 2006 Dec;12(12):1397-402. doi:10.1038/nm1504. Epub 2006 Nov 19.
- Di Iorio E, Barbaro V, Ferrari S, Ortolani C, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Q-FIHC: quantification of fluorescence immunohistochemistry to analyse p63 isoforms and cell cycle phases in human limbal stem cells. Microsc Res Tech. 2006 Dec;69(12):983-91. doi: 10.1002/jemt.20375
- Barbaro V, Di Iorio E, Ferrari S, Bisceglia L, Ruzza A, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Expression of VSX1 in human corneal keratocytes during differentiation to myofibroblasts in response to wound healing. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006 Dec;47(12):5243-50. doi:10.1167/iovs.06-0185
- Barbaro V, Testa A, Di Iorio E, Mavilio F, Pellegrini G, De Luca M . C/EBPd regulates cell cycle and self- renewal of human limbal stem cells. J Cell Biol. 2007 Jun 18;177(6):1037-49. doi: 10.1083/jcb.200703003. Epub 2007 Jun 11.
- Pellegrini G, De Luca M, Arsenijevic Y. Towards therapeutic application of ocular stem cells. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2007 Dec;18(6):805-18. doi:10.1016/j.semcdb.2007.09.011 Epub 2007 Sep 16.
- Vinciguerra P, Albè E, Rosetta P, Di Iorio E, Pellegrini G. Custom phototherapeutic keratectomy and autologous fibrin-cultured limbal stem cell autografting: a combined approach. J Refract Surg. 2008 Apr;24(4):323-4.
- Vrana NE, Builles N, Justin V, Bednarz J, Pellegrini G, Ferrari B, Damour O, Hulmes DJ, Hasirci V. Development of a reconstructed cornea from collagen-chondroitin sulfate foams and human cell cultures. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Dec;49(12):5325-31. doi: 10.1167/iovs.07-1599. Epub 2008 Aug 15.
- Di Nunzio F, Maruggi G, Ferrari S, Di Iorio E, Poletti V, Garcia M, Del Rio M, De Luca M, Larcher F, Pellegrini G, Mavilio F. Correction of laminin-5 deficiency in human epidermal stem cells by transcriptionally targeted lentiviral vectors. Mol Ther. 2008 Dec;16(12):1977-85. doi: 10.1038/mt.2008.204. Epub 2008 Sep 23.
- De Luca M, Pellegrini G, Mavilio F. Gene therapy of inherited skin adhesion disorders. Drug Discovery Today: Therapeutic Strategies. 2008 Dec;5(4):249-254. Doi: 10.1016/j.ddstr.2009.04.001
- Pellegrini G, Rama P, Mavilio F, De Luca M. Epithelial stem cells in corneal regeneration and epidermal gene therapy. J Pathol. 2009 Jan;217(2):217-28. doi: 10.1002/path.2441.
- Lambiase A, Micera A, Pellegrini G, Merlo D, Rama P, De Luca M, Bonini S, Bonini S. In vitro evidence of nerve growth factor effects on human conjunctival epithelial cell differentiation and mucin gene expression. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Oct;50(10):4622-30. doi: 10.1167/iovs.08-2716. Epub 2009 Apr 30.
- De Luca M, Pellegrini G, Mavilio F. Gene therapy of inherited skin adhesion disorders: A critical overview. Br J Dermatol. 2009 Jul;161(1):19-24. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2009.09243.x. Epub 2009 Apr 20.
- Pellegrini G, De Luca M. Human embryonic stem-cell derived keratinocytes: how close to clinics?. Cell Stem Cell. 2010 Jan 8;6(1):8-9. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2009.12.002.
- Colabelli Gisoldi RA, Pocobelli A, Villani CM, Amato D, Pellegrini G. Evaluation of molecular markers in corneal regeneration by means of autologous cultures of limbal cells and keratoplasty. Cornea. 2010 Jul;29(7):715-22. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0b013e3181c91ac4.
- Rama P, Matuska S, Paganoni G, Spinelli A. De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Limbal stem-cell therapy and long-term corneal regeneration. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jul 8;363(2):147-55. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0905955. Epub 2010 Jun 23.
- Builles N, Janin-Manificat H, Malbouyres M, Justin V, Rovère MR, Pellegrini G, Torbet J, Hulmes DJ, Burillon C, Damour O, Ruggiero F. Use of magnetically oriented orthogonal collagen scaffolds for hemi-corneal reconstruction and regeneration. Biomaterials. 2010 Nov;31(32):8313-22. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2010.07.066. Epub 2010 Aug 13.
- Pellegrini G, Rama P, De Luca M. Vision from the right stem. Trends Mol Med. 2011 Jan;17(1):1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.molmed.2010.10.003. Epub 2010 Nov 11
- Saghizadeh M, Soleymani S, Harounian A, Bhakta B, Troyanovsky SM, Brunken WJ, Pellegrini G, Ljubimov AV . Alterations of epithelial stem cell marker patterns in human diabetic corneas and effects of c-met gene therapy. Mol Vis. 2011;17:2177-90. Epub 2011 Aug 12.
- Corradini F, Venturi B, Pellegrini G, De Luca M. Methods for characterization/manipulation of human corneal stem cells and their applications in regenerative medicine. Methods Mol Biol. 2012; 916:357-72. doi: 10.1007/978-1-61779-980-8_26.
- Pellegrini G, Rama P, Matuska S, Lambiase A, Bonini B, Pocobelli A, Gisoldi Colabelli R, Spadea L, Fasciani R, Ballestrazzi E, Vinciguerra P, Rosetta P, Tortori A, Nardi M, Gabbriellini G, Traverso CE, Macaluso C, Losi L, Percesepe A, Venturi B, Corradini F, Panaras A, Di Rocco A, Guatelli P, De Luca M. Biological parameters determining the clinical outcome of cultured limbal stem cells. Regen Med. 2013 Sep;8(5):553-67. doi: 10.2217/rme.13.43. Epub 2013 Jun 3.
- Carulli S, Contin R, De Rosa L, Pellegrini G, De Luca M. The long and winding road that leads to a cure for epidermolysis bullosa. Regen Med. 2013 Jul;8(4):467-81. doi: 10.2217/rme.13.33.
- Pellegrini G, Rama P, Di Rocco A, Panaras A, De Luca M. Concise review: hurdles in a successful example of limbal stem cell-based regenerative medicine. Stem Cells. 2014 Jan;32(1):26-34. doi: 10.1002/stem.1517.
- Courtney DG, Atkinson SD, Moore JE, Maurizi E, Serafini C, Pellegrini G, Black GC, Manson F, Yam GH, Allen EH, McLean WH, Moore TC. Development of allele specific gene silencing siRNAs for TGFBI Arg124Cys in Lattice Corneal Dystrophy Type I. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Feb 18;55(2):977-85. doi: 10.1167/iovs.13-13279
- De Rosa L, Carulli S, Cocchiarella F, Quaglino D, Enzo E, Franchini E, Giannetti A, De Santis G, Recchia A, Pellegrini G, De Luca M, Long-term stability and safety of transgenic cultured epidermal stem cells in gene therapy of junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Stem Cell Reports. 2013 Dec 26;2(1):1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2013.11.001. eCollection 2014 Jan 14.
- Courtney DG, Atkinson SD, Allen EH, Moore JE, Walsh CP, Leslie Pedrioli DM, Macewen CJ, Pellegrini G, Maurizi E, Serafini C, Fantacci M, Liao H, Irvine AD, McLean WH, Moore TC. siRNA Silencing of the Mutant Keratin 12 Allele in Corneal Limbal Epithelial Cells Grown from Patients with Meesmann’s Epithelial Corneal Dystrophy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 May 6;55(5):3352-60. doi: 10.1167/iovs.13-12957.
- Pellegrini G, De Luca M, Eyes on the prize: limbal stem cells and corneal restoration, Cell Stem Cell. 2014 Aug 7;15(2):121-2. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2014.07.011.
- Cavallini GM, Pellegrini G, Volante V, Ducange P, De Maria M, Torlai G, Benatti C, Forlini M, Chemical injury treated with autologous limbal epithelial stem cell transplantation and subconjunctival bevacizumab. Clinical Ophthalmology, 2014 August 30;8:1671–1673 doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S65298. eCollection 2014.
- Ianiro A, Giosia MD, Fermani S, Samorì C, Barbalinardo M, Valle F, Pellegrini G, Biscarini F, Zerbetto F, Calvaresi M, Falini G. Customizing properties of β-chitin in squid pen (gladius) by chemical treatments. Mar Drugs. 2014 Dec 15;12(12):5979-92. doi: 10.3390/md12125979.
- Murauer EM, Koller U, Pellegrini G, De Luca M, Bauer JW, Advances in Gene/Cell Therapy in Epidermolysis Bullosa, Keio J Med. 2015 Jun 25;64(2):21-5. doi: 10.2302/kjm.2014-0013-RE. Epub 2015 Jun 6
- Corradini F, Zattoni M, Barbagli G, Bianchi G, Giovanardi M, Serafini C, Genna V, Ribbene A, Balò S, Fidanza F, Lazzeri M, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Comparative Assessment Of Cultures From Oral And Urethral Stem Cells For Urethral Regeneration. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016; 11(8):643-65. doi: 10.2174/1574888X10666150902094644 Epub 2015 Sep 1
- Pellegrini G, Lambiase A, Macaluso C, Pocobelli A, Deng S, Cavallini GM, Esteki R, Rama P, From discovery to approval of an advanced therapy medicinal product-containing stem cells, in the EU. Regen Med. 2016 Jun;11(4):407-20. doi: 10.2217/rme-2015-0051. Epub 2016 Apr 19.
- Milazzo G, Ardigò D, Toschi M, Matuska S, Rama P, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Holoclar: first of its kind in more ways than one. Cell Gene Therapy Insights 2016 July 6;2(2):183-197. doi:10.18609/cgti.2016.023
- Barbagli G, Pellegrini G, Corradini F, Montorsi F, Sansalone S, Butnaru D, Lazzeri M. One-stage Penile Urethroplasty Using Oral Mucosal Graft and Glue. Eur Urol. 2016 Dec;70(6):1069-1075. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2016.04.025. Epub 2016 May 6
- Bauer JW, Koller J, Murauer EM, De Rosa L, Enzo E, Carulli S, Bondanza S, Recchia A, Muss W, Diem A, Mayr E, Schlager P, Gratz IK, Pellegrini G, De Luca M. Closure of a large chronic wound through transplantation of gene-corrected epidermal stem cells. J Invest Dermatol. 2017 Mar;137(3):778-781. doi: 10.1016/j.jid.2016.10.038. Epub 2016 Nov 10
- Rama P, Ferrari G, Pellegrini G. Cultivated limbal epithelial transplantation. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2017 Jul;28(4):387-389.
- Hirsch T, Rothoeft T, Teig N, Bauer JW, Pellegrini G, De Rosa L, Scaglione D, Reichelt J, Klausegger A, Kneisz D, Romano O, Secone Seconetti A, Contin R, Enzo E, Jurman I, Carulli S, Jacobsen F, Luecke T, Lehnhardt M, Fischer M, Kueckelhaus M, Quaglino D, Morgante M, Bicciato S, Bondanza S, De Luca M. Regeneration of the entire human epidermis using transgenic stem cells. Nature. 2017 Nov 16;551(7680):327-332. doi: 10.1038/nature24487. Epub 2017 Nov 8.
- Pellegrini G, Ardigò D, Milazzo G, Iotti G, Guatelli P, Pelosi D, De Luca M. Navigating Market Authorization: The Path Holoclar Took to Become the First Stem Cell Product Approved in the European Union. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2018 Jan;7(1):146-154.
- Stern JH, Tian Y, Funderburgh J, Pellegrini G, Zhang K, Goldberg JL, Ali RR, Young M, Xie Y, Temple S. Regenerating Eye Tissues to Preserve and Restore Vision. Cell Stem Cell. 2018 Jun 1;22(6):834-849. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2018.05.013 [Erratum in Cell Stem Cell 2018]
- Stern JH, Tian Y, Funderburgh J, Pellegrini G, Zhang K, Goldberg JL, Ali RR, Young M, Xie Y, Temple. Regenerating Eye Tissues to Preserve and Restore Vision. Cell Stem Cell. 2018 Sep 6;23(3):453. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2018.08.014. [Erratum for Cell Stem Cell 2018]
- Attico E, Sceberras V, Pellegrini G. Approaches for Effective Clinical Application of Stem Cell Transplantation. Current Transplantation 2018;5(3):244-250. doi: 10.1007/s40472-018-0202-0. Epub 2018 Aug 2
- Sugarman J, Barker RA, Kerridge I, Lysaght T, Pellegrini G, Sipp D, Tanner C. Tackling Ethical Challenges of Premature Delivery of Stem Cell-Based Therapies: ISSCR 2018 Annual Meeting Focus Session Report. Stem Cell Reports. 2018 Nov 13;11(5):1021-1025. doi: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2018.10.020.
- Pellegrini G, De Luca M. Living with Keratinocytes. Stem Cell Reports. 2018 Nov 13;11(5):1026-1033. doi: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2018.10.005.
- Deng SX, Borderie V, Chan CC, Dana R, Figueiredo FC, Gomes JAP, Pellegrini G, Shimmura S, Kruse FE; and The International Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency Working Group. Global Consensus on Definition, Classification, Diagnosis, and Staging of Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency. Cornea. 2019 Mar;38(3):364-375. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0000000000001820.
- De Rosa L, Secone Seconetti A, De Santis G, Pellacani G, Hirsch T, Rothoeft T, Teig N, Pellegrini G, Bauer JW, De Luca M. Laminin 332-Dependent YAP Dysregulation Depletes Epidermal Stem Cells in Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa. Cell Rep. 2019 May 14;27(7):2036-2049.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.04.055.
- De Luca M, Aiuti A, Cossu G, Parmar M, Pellegrini G, Robey PG. Advances in stem cell research and therapeutic development. Nat Cell Biol. 2019 Jul;21(7):801-811. doi: 10.1038/s41556-019-0344-z. Epub 2019 Jun 17.
- Sceberras V, Attico E, Bianchi E, Galaverni G, Melonari M, Corradini F, Fantacci M, Ribbene A, Losi L, Balò S, Lazzeri M, Trombetta C, Rizzo M, Manfredini R, Barbagli G, Pellegrini G. Preclinical study for treatment of hypospadias by advanced therapy medicinal products. World J Urol. 2019 Jul 9. doi: 10.1007/s00345-019-02864-x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pellegrini G. New Drugs?. Pharmadvances 0:6-8, 2019 September doi: 10.36118/pharmadvances.00.2019.04
- Barbalinardo M, Di Giosia M, Polishchuk I, Magnabosco G, Fermani S, Biscarini F, Calvaresi M, Zerbetto F, Pellegrini G, Falini G, Pokroy B, Valle F. Retinoic acid/calcite micro-carriers inserted in fibrin scaffolds modulate neuronal cell differentiation. J Mater Chem B. 2019 Oct 14;7(38):5808-5813. doi: 10.1039/c9tb01148j. Epub 2019 Sep 5.
- Vukasovic A, Asnaghi MA, Kostesic P, Quasnichka H, Cozzolino C, Pusic M, Hails L, Trainor N, Krause C, Figallo E, Filardo G, Kon E, Wixmerten A, Maticic D, Pellegrini G, Kafienah W, Hudetz D, Smith T, Martin I, Ivkovic A, Wendt D. Bioreactor-manufactured cartilage grafts repair acute and chronic osteochondral defects in large animal studies. Cell Prolif. 2019 Nov;52(6):e12653. doi: 10.1111/cpr.12653. Epub 2019 Sep 6.
- Deng SX, Borderie V, Chan CC, Dana R, Figueiredo FC, Gomes JAP, Pellegrini G, Shimmura S, Kruse FE. Reply. Cornea. 2019 Dec;38(12):e56-e57. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0000000000002145.
- Magrelli Federica M, Merra A., Pellegrini G. Surgery Versus ATMPs: An Example From Ophthalmology. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2020 Jun 10;8:440. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2020.00440. eCollection 2020.
- Maurizi E, Schiroli D, Zini R, Limongelli A, Mistò R, Macaluso C, Pellegrini G. A fine-tuned β-catenin regulation during proliferation of corneal endothelial cells revealed using proteomics analysis. Sci Rep. 2020 Aug 14;10(1):13841. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-70800-w.
- Maurizi E, Adamo D, Magrelli FA, Galaverni G, Attico E, Merra A, Maffezzoni MBR, Losi L, Genna VG, Sceberras V, Pellegrini G. Regenerative Medicine of Epithelia: Lessons From the Past and Future Goals. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2021 Mar 25;9:652214. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2021.652214. eCollection 2021.
- De Luca M., Pellegrini G., Zambruno G. “The epidermal keratinocyte” in Harris A., Epithelial Cell Culture, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge U.K., 1996, pp.122-44, ISBN: 0521550238
- De Luca M., Guerra L., Bondanza S., Pellegrini G. “Applicazioni cliniche dei cheratinociti umani normali coltivati in vitro” in Guarnera G, Papi M., L’ulcera cutanea degli arti inferiori, Monti, Saronno (VA), 1998, pp. 217-232, ISBN: 8886881150
- De Luca M., Guerra L., Dellambra E., Pellegrini G. “Keratinocyte-mediated cell and gene therapy”, In: Horch R.E., Munster A.M., Achauer, B.M. (Eds.), Cultured human keratinocytes and tissue engineered skin substitutes, Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany, 2001, pp. 72-82, ISBN: 3-13-130161-9
- Pellegrini G. “Terapia cellulare e genica con cheratinociti umani coltivati” in Cancedda R., Pietrabissa R., Ingegneria dei tessuti biologici, Patron, Bologna, 2002, p. 239-254, ISBN: 8855526642
- Pellegrini G. e De Luca M., “Facciamo il punto sulla medicina rigenerativa della superficie oculare”, Annali Società Oftalmologia Italiana, 2006, pp. 31-56.
- Pellegrini G., “Corneal regeneration by means of somatic cell therapy”, in J.A. Gutierrez et al., Cell Therapy , Mc Graw-Hill, Madrid, 2007, pp. 363-77.
- Pellegrini G., Mavilio F. “ Medicina rigenerativa e nuove frontiere terapeutiche” in Fantoni et al., Biologia cellulare e genetica, Piccin, Padova, 2008, vol. 1 pp. 581-603.
- Corradini F, Zattoni M, Rama P, De Luca M, Pellegrini G. Corneal Bioengineering in Orlando G. Regenerative Medicine Applications in Organ Transplantation. 2014, Elsevier Inc., pp. 829-840 ISBN: 978-012398523-1 Doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-398523-1.00059-8
- Graziella Pellegrini, Alessandro Lambiase, Claudio Macaluso, Augusto Pocobelli, Paolo Vinciguerra, Gian Maria Cavallini, Pietro Ducange, Paolo Rama. Rigenerazione della cornea. Dalla scoperta all’approvazione di un prodotto medicinale di terapia avanzata contenente cellule staminali in Europa. In Giampaolo Bagnara, Cellule Staminali Casa Editrice Esculapio, Bologna, 2016
- Chiara Chiavelli, Eustachio Attico, Virginia Sceberras, Monica Fantacci, Matteo Melonari e Graziella Pellegrini. Stem Cells and Ocular Regeneration in R. L. Reis, & M. E.Gomes (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Vol. 2. Academic Press: Elsevier. ISBN: 9780128136997